I am from the Men-Riv Navy base cul-de-sac and Evening of Prayer Church of God in Christ;
From the old oak tree, the E-Z Bake Oven, and the brown swing set;
From evening bike rides, sun-brewed tea, the brown leather belt, and Sulfur-8;
From loud laughter, soft whispers, and sexy breezes.
From California, South Carolina, Long Island, and Alabama.
I am from Daddy's blackberry dumplings, peach cobbler, candied yams, and sweet potato pies;
From Hamburger Helper, hot dogs and baked beans, Vienna sausages, and Chef Boyardee;
From Aunt Cat's roasted corn ears, Katrena's caramel cake, and Mama's sweet peas.
I am from "Fix your face!" and "Reach out!"
"Did you hear what I said?" and "Who do you think you're talking to?"
From "If I told you once, I told you a thousand times..." to
"When you've done your best, the angels in heaven can't do no better."
I am from Morris and Theresa, Gran'ma Liz and Grandaddy Crockett, M'Dear and Pop;
From Betty Ann and Mary Sue and Big Sister
From Rosemary and Ang, Stevie Ray and Frankie Lee
From Uncle Pete, Uncle Ed, and Jimmy
From Cheri to Nicole to Godmom BJ
I am from
and
I am going
and
I am here
and
I am
No comments:
Post a Comment