On April 8th of 1991, I received the best piece of mail I have ever opened to this date: my acceptance letter to Duke University. I had been so anxious about it, but Grandma Liz had been praying me through my stress. Of course, when I saw the letter, I ran down the hall to tell her the outstanding news. I was too late. She was already cold. After what turned out to be her final chemo treatment, my Grandma had laid down, tucked her hands under her sweet cheek, turned her face to the open window, and left us....to receive her healing from God's Hands and in His presence.
I was furious with God. Three hours. You couldn't have waited to take her just three more hours? Long enough for me to share my news, to show her that You had answered our prayers? You could have given her to me for three more hours.
God didn't apologize for His actions. I waited in vain for that to happen. What did happen was this: He sent me an epiphany. You weren't the only person with a prayer.
How many nights had I heard her in the room, groaning from the pain, calling His name: "Oh, Lord, have mercy. JesusJesusJesusJesus." Just aching and moaning, praying and waiting. He chose not to let her wait any longer. I live with that choice. And I have learned to say, "Yes, Lord. Thy will be done."
On the anniversary of the day that I received my best news and my worst news, I want to celebrate my Grandma Liz. I'm so proud to bear her name. She was a classy woman who loved to shop for "a shoe and a bag." Maybe that's why I love shoes and purses so much. I hope to live to be the beautiful, inspiring, woman of faith that she was. To be a prayer warrior, interceding for others. An anointed singer. That's where my dad gets his gift from. She has left a rich legacy, and I'm doing my part to carry it on.
The next time you are faced with your moment of rage, questioning, and incredulity at something God did which didn't meet with your approval or line up with what you wanted, remember this: You aren't the only person with a prayer.
;) nice!!
ReplyDelete