Saturday, December 29, 2012

Committed or Comfortable?

Are we really committed to becoming as much like Christ as we can?
Ask yourself...Are there parts of who I am that I would not willingly sacrifice or change? Not your morals and values. But your attitude. The way you interact with others. Do you often say "This is who I am" or "this is me" and expect other people to deal?

So often we are committed to knowing Christ, but we neglect to really show Christ through who we are and how we interact with others. Do we allow our pride to cause us to give someone a piece of our already sliced off mind? Or do we model humility and choose silence over doling out a tongue-lashing? Do we allow our short tempers to cause us to create a reputation as a "hot head" and a "sharp tongue?" Or do we exemplify patience with ourselves and others? Are our conversations filled with criticisms and cracks, or do they uplift those around us? If we truly believe we are the righteousness of God in Christ, the children of God, and mirrors of Christ, then we should always ask ourselves---and pardon in advance the cliche---What would Jesus do?  I know you have a bracelet and a t-shirt and maybe a pair of earrings with WWJD stamped on it, but after you have bought the merchandise and asked the question, then you must be willing to do what Jesus would do, say what He would say, respond the way that He would respond. I mean, after all....you are wearing the paraphernalia. You might as well honor it.

As the 2012 year comes to a close, I am feeling challenged by my Holy Ghost to do better. To be better. To fully and earnestly be like Christ.

That's what I'm desiring.

Growing up in church, I was blessed to learn the Word while I was young. I am extremely at home in church. I am grateful for what I know of God's Word and of God's Son. However, I believe sometimes we can become so comfortable with what we know about Christ that we don't really stop and ask ourselves if we are becoming like Christ. Each year that we live a life of holiness, do we see ourselves changing for His glory? Are we more like Him and less like the self we used to know? Am I more patient now than I was 5 years ago? Can I hold my temper (under the power of the Holy Ghost) better than when I was in my twenties?  Do I still behave like the-same-old Liz, or am I--prayerfully---becoming just gradually more like Christ?

 When I envision my own life, I think of it as a painting, a colorful tapestry with Christ woven into every strand. In all my interactions, conversations, and relationships--with my family, strangers, folks at my job, folks on the subway, and even the miserable people who cut me off in traffic (God help me with that one!)--I want everyone to see the glorious Light strand of Christ.

So, in 2013, I'm pressing on from comfort to commitment. I want folks to see Christ through me. As wonderful as I think Liz may be, I am nothing without Christ. He is the only good there is to be found in me. And in realizing that, I have come to reach for Him more and more, because I know the best "me" is found in Him.

My Prayer: Less of me. More of You.

No comments:

Post a Comment